Share

Sunday, August 03, 2014

image

The pattern instructions ask you to gather the shoulders. But since my fabric wasn't some sheer cotton, I thought gathering the fabric on the shoulders would look "thick". So, instead, I made 2 pleats. As I proceeded with the dress, I realized that it was the right move. 
image
I made pleats both on the fabric and on the lining.
image
Again, I did not follow the instructions and instead of sewing them separately or adding facings, I stitched the front bodice parts together. 
image
I left some space on the shoulders and turned them around later. This helped me to get a very clean look on the inside and outside. 
image

image

image
For the ones who are planning to try out this pattern, please note that the original pattern doesn't give you a nice clean drape on the neckline. Instead, you end up having a small knob!  

Thanks to other reviewers about this pattern, I was able to correct it before finishing the dress. Remember my pleats idea at the beginning? Here, I realized that it was  essential to have pleats on the shoulders instead of gathered fabric. Yet again, I had to hand-stitch the pleats at this stage in order to lose the knob on the neckline. 
image
After finishing the bodice, it was time to think about the alterations for the skirt. 
My first alteration on the skirt was to add pockets. They're always handy you know:)
Since my body shape is not good for "twirly" skirts (pear-shape baby! ), I always tend to place pleats carefully on skirts and dresses I sew. So, again, instead of gathering the fabric on the waistline, I added deep pleats on the front side of the skirt. 
image
I then carefully stitched them together, following the seam line of the bodice. 
image
I think it looks better like this. 
butterick 6582 sewing steps
Happy sewing! :)

Tagged: , , , , , , ,